If you are planning your special day, congratulations! Your wedding day will be full of joy and happiness. As a current bride-to-be, I wanted to share a few tips that have helped me, and I hope will assist in your planning stages.
1. Take care of yourself. Keeping up with the simple stuff may sound like an easy order, but often the simplest tasks are left behind when the big day comes closer. Get plenty of sleep, drink water (my favorite form of hydration is coconut water) and eat three nutritious meals a day. Though you want to be slim and svelte for the big day, remember it’s just one day and you deserve to enjoy yourself as well.
2. Let go of expectations. Your day will be beautiful and a special experience, but if you worry about every single detail until you are blue in the face, you won’t see the big picture. Step back, take stock of all your have to be thankful for, and really enjoy this day that is all about you.
3. Enlist the help of you support system. This was a big one for me. I’ve been planning a wedding in a new city where my support system is smaller than my usual friend circle, and in the beginning I wasn’t sure if I could do it on my own. Luckily, friends and family from near and far have offered to help in numerous ways, and I wouldn’t have a great event if it wasn’t for them!
4. Find websites to offer inspiration, but not a wedding addiction. When I first began wedding planning, I couldn’t stop searching on wedding websites. There were so many DIY ideas, I was salivating into my keyboard. Whether yours is a DIY affair, or a sit down event, find a few websites and stick with them. My favorites have been Martha Stewart Weddings, Project Wedding, and the Two Thousand Dollar Wedding.
5. Remember to find a budget and outline and works for you, and not for everyone else. I planned a wedding on a very small budget, but many wedding websites kept pointing out that I could have a “bargain” wedding for under $10,000. I felt bad about not being able to spend even ½ of that. Remember that this is YOUR day – and everyone will have an opinion. Just take everything in, and let your instinct guide you to what works in your situation.
No matter what your special day will be, remember to let your intuition guide you. I’m sure your choices and flair for creativity will be a reflection of you and your partner’s tastes. Congratulations!